Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lip Color With Staying Power

Any color I put on my lips has a tendency to do a quick disappearing act so I've long been on the lookout for lip color that lasts. Yes I know there are some out with staying power but they leave my lips feeling parched.
Now the people at Good Housekeeping have to come to the rescue. At their renowned Research Institute they recently tested ten of the latest long lasting lip colors.
After applying the lip colors in the lab,volunteers ate a buttered bagel, sipped a hot drink and kissed the back of their hand. An expert then recorded the amount of transfer color. The testers then wore the products for the rest of the day without reapplying and then rated them on comfort look and wear.
All had zero color fade and lasted 11 hours. Among the top three performers L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Lip Color was number two after Channel
Of course I had to check it out and made a special stop at Rite Aide. I spent a bit of time picking out the color bearing in mind advice from the book How Not To Look Old which says we older gals do better to stick with pale pink (being blond I had always veered to the more earth or coral tones which might have been a mistake.) So I picked Azalea, a medium pale pink. The product comes in an attractive mirrored case, but I was dismayed to discover that this one like the Maybelline I had previously tried was a two step process.
I still felt compelled to give it a try. The color is applied with a wand and has to dry for two minutes. It went on more smoothly but had that same stiff feeling as the Maybelline as it dried However this is then topped by a clear super moisturizing gloss applied in stick form. It immediately alleviated the stiff feeling and managed to keep my lips feeling moisturized all day.
By evening they were still pink, if not quite as shiny as they were in the morning. I may have to try this one again but in a brighter shade. I'm still not sold on the virtues of pink but do intend to check out the shades recommended in the book. I'll let you know. Meanwhile I can't believe I'm spending so much time thinking about lips!
Cheers,
Barb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'VE TRIED SOME OF THOSE LIP STAINS, BUT THEY MADE MY LIPS FEEL VERY DRY AFTER THE GLOSS WEARS OFF. I'VE RECENTLY FOUND A LIP COLOR AT SALLYS(HAIR PRODUCTS)THATS CALLED "MOOD LIPS". THEY COME IN STRANGE COLORS BUT AFTER YOU APPLY, THEY TURN ANOTHER COLOR, BUT DO NOT DRY. YOU CAN STILL USE A GLOSS, BUT IT STAYS ON ALL DAY AND ITS ONLY AROUND $3.00. I USE THE GREEN ONE, WHICH TURNS A DARK PINK. I FIRST PURCHASED LIPSTICK LIKE THIS IN MOROCCO MANY YRS.AGO. I'D BE INTERESTED TO SEE IF YOU HAVE HEARD OR TRIED THIS LIPSTICK,AS I REALLY LIKE IT.
LYNDA